Thursday, May 21, 2015

How I became a book reviewer....

I get asked all the time, "How I got into book reviewing and do I get paid?" I decided I should probably write a post about it.....

If you have read my About Me section on this blog you will know that I LOVE reading. From 1st grade on I remember always reading something. When I was a teen I would spend my money on books all the time. When I became a Mom I had to take a few years break from reading because I just didn't have time. As the kids got older I figured out I could sneak it a few minutes here and there and everything would still be fine. I also discovered it was a great break from reality :) That is how it all began....

When I discover a new Author a few years ago I read everything of hers I could get my hands on. Then she did a series of books with some other Authors and so I started reading them too. When I was beginning to run out of books to read by these Authors I figured I would do some research to see if I could find similar Authors. I googled their websites as well as followed them on facebook.

In all honesty I can't remember how it all came about exactly. But I do know that every Author becomes more popular by word of mouth. All of them appreciate hearing positive feedback about their books. They also sell more books by positive reviews.  I believe that most of the time, they appreciate nice criticism in their books if there was something that you didn't enjoy. Keep in mind they are putting themselves out there raw and up close and personal. Their sole purpose is to entertain you with their talents. They are people with feelings and families and they are choosing to share themselves with us.

First off I don't get paid AT ALL. I do get 'free' books quite often, though most I end up buying as well because I would never loan out a book I was given to review. I have won a few gift card prizes for reviews I have given but that was just a perk. I enjoy reading and getting a free book (or even a heads up on a good book sale) is perk enough for me. I also enjoying doing service for all these Authors by getting the word out about their books!

Keep in mind I am not an Author. I do not have a special 'IN' with any Author. I do consider them all friends and I 'talk' to quite a few of them on a regular basis. That doesn't mean I will be able to get you a spot reviewing as well. With that being said....if you are interested in possibly reviewing books these are some of the steps I took:
1. Google your favorite Author. See if they have their own website if they do follow it or check it often.
2. Search for them on social media and follow them there (facebook, pinterest, twitter etc)
3. Ask them if they are looking for reviewers and/or volunteer to do it.
4. When you read a book review it! EVERY TIME (I always review every book on Amazon, Goodreads, Barnes and Noble and my blog)
5. If you are really serious about it start a book reviewing blog like this one.
6. Send a message personally to the Author and have them look you up if they are interested.

That's about all I can suggest. I hope you have some luck! I feel like I have been very blessed for all the opportunists that have fallen in my lap and for the friends I have made. I hope that if you love reading as much as I do you will get the same chances. Thanks again for checking out my blog and please give some of these Authors a chance!

No comments:

Post a Comment